August 15, 2023
Young Driver Motor Cars, a subsidiary of the renowned firm Young Driver, has revolutionised the way children experience driving with their innovative electric two-seater, the Firefly Sport. The Firefly Sport provides young children, aged four to ten, the joy of driving in a safe and controlled environment. To power this exceptional vehicle, Young Driver Motor Cars turned to Aceleron. This case study explores the benefits of Aceleron's Essential batteries and why Young Driver Motor Cars chose them to drive its visionary endeavour.
Young Driver Motor Cars, founded and managed by a team of former Jaguar Land Rover, MG, and Rover executives, specialises in providing driving lessons and experiences for children and young adults of not yet legal driving age. With 70 sites across the UK, Young Driver offers a unique opportunity for youngsters aged 10 to 17 years, to learn and experience driving. In collaboration with its sister company, Young Driver Motor Cars introduced the Firefly Sport, tailored specifically for a younger demographic, to provide children aged 4 to 10 years, a fun and educational driving experience.
The Firefly Sport, a 2.1-meter-long electric two-seater, has gained immense popularity among children and their parents alike. Designed with inspiration from popular car brands such as Tesla and BMW i8, the Firefly Sport resembles a real car, making the experience even more exciting for young drivers. With its top speed of 7mph (25mph for experienced drivers), one-pedal operation, and automatic collision detection sensor, the Firefly Sport ensures a safe and thrilling driving adventure for the little ones.
Young Driver Motor Cars made a strategic decision to power its Firefly Sport with Aceleron's Essential 12V batteries, recognising the company's commitment to sustainability, innovation, and high-performance battery technology. The Essential batteries offer several key advantages that perfectly align with the requirements of the Firefly Sport:
1. Longevity and Enhanced Performance: Aceleron's batteries are designed to be serviceable and upgradeable. This feature ensures that the Firefly Sport remains operational for an extended period without the need for battery replacement. The Essential batteries allow for quick and easy battery Core replacement when service or upgrade is needed or desired, keeping operational disruptions and maintenance costs to the minimum while extending the life of the batteries and keeping the car equipped with the latest technology without the reengineering costs.
2. Sustainable Patented Battery Core Technology: Aceleron's commitment to sustainability and battery technology that eliminates battery waste through circular economy aligns perfectly with Young Driver Motor Cars' vision for an environmentally friendly driving experience for children. By choosing Aceleron's batteries, Young Driver Motor Cars sets the precedent for driving an electric vehicle and demonstrates its dedication to promoting sustainability and green practices.
3. Reliability and Performance: Aceleron's Lithium Ion (LiFePO4) batteries have a higher energy density useable capacity, taking up less space and weighing less than the AGM type that had been used previously. This enables the Young Drivers team to operate each Firefly Sport for the entire day out on the track reliably. This ensures that children can enjoy a seamless and enjoyable driving experience during their time with the vehicle without interruptions and lost driving time.
4. British Design: Aceleron's batteries further complement Young Driver Motor Cars' mission to support British suppliers. The Firefly Sport is proudly produced in Kenilworth, Warwickshire, and predominantly incorporates British parts, including Aceleron's 12-volt Essential batteries designed in its Headquarters in Bromsgrove. This focus on British components showcases the expertise and craftsmanship of the UK's automotive industry, contributing to local job growth and economic development.
Young Driver Motor Cars' visionary approach to providing safe and enjoyable driving experiences for young children resulted in the development of the Firefly Sport. This unique vehicle, powered by Aceleron's serviceable and upgradeable batteries, embodies a perfect blend of fun, reliability, and sustainability. By choosing Aceleron's batteries, Young Driver Motor Cars has reinforced its commitment to the environment while offering children a memorable and educational introduction to driving. The success of the Firefly Sport showcases the potential for collaborative efforts in achieving innovative solutions that benefit and set an example for future generations and the world as a whole.
"Firefly Sport is designed and manufactured in the UK and 90% of its components are also UK-made, including the Aceleron Essential batteries. We like the performance, reliability and packaging of the Aceleron batteries”
– Ian Muligani, Managing Director of Young Driver Motor Cars
August 15, 2023
Aceleron's Essential batteries power Young Driver Motor Cars' innovative electric two-seater, the Firefly Sport, providing a safe, sustainable, and serviceable energy solution.
October 12, 2022
Thanks to the current energy crisis, interest in harnessing renewable energy is unsurprisingly on the rise. Our co-founder and CTO explains how energy storage works to increase our access to renewable energy.
August 22, 2022
The transition to clean energy is well underway and it is widely accepted that battery based energy storage has a major part to play. We therefore have a duty to build energy storage that will leave a positive legacy, and this is why a full understanding of the materials we use and how we can use them is so important.